One-to-One Tutoring: Strategies for Writing Scientific Papers (C1)
This flexible, weekly appointment system aims to cater to the individual needs of doctoral students who are writing scientific journal articles. Dr. rer.nat. Joy Reid (Coordinator of English for Natural Sciences, Applied Linguistics and Special Languages/Leibniz University Hannover) and Jasmin Farsi, M. A. (Applied Linguistics and Special Languages/Leibniz University Hannover) offer individual feedback, clarification and tools to improve and accelerate paper production. Participants can define their own schedule throughout the year by booking up to ten dates that suit them best. After attending ten sessions (30 hours, 10 dates), a course certificate is issued.
Appointment slots (1 slot = 60 mins): To set up an appointment, please write an e-mail.
Location: Building 3110, Room 014
(Gebäude Hauptmensa, Callinstraße 23, 30167 Hannover)
Language prerequisites: Minimum B2 (see Common European Framework)
Scientific writing in English is an essential skill for the efficient publication of research activities in academic journals. This one-to-one tutoring service provides a space for doctoral students to work on their own papers and to individually assess and improve their English writing skills under the guidance of a qualified teacher and/or language assistant. The ultimate goal is to enable doctoral students to publish their scientific results in English with minimal linguistic assistance. For this purpose, various tasks focusing on strategies and tools for scientific writing will be made available which will allow the participants to apply suitable linguistic structures at an advanced level (B2/C1) and to avoid systematic errors.
- Strategies and tools for scientific writing (individually creating a corpus of subject-specific publications using a tailor-made concordance software)
- Learning by doing: writing your paper and receiving individual feedback
- Systematically improving your writing skills – a flexible, task-based approach
What should you bring to One-to-One-Tutoring?
- Your own laptop (with wlan access if possible)
- Ten peer-reviewed papers from your field (as pdf or text-files)
- In order to complete their scientific publications, participants are required to draft their paper both during the tutoring sessions, and in their own time.
- To gain the maximum benefit from the tutoring, it is highly recommended that the participants attend ten sessions.
- In order to enable a maximum number of users to participate in the One-to One-Tutoring, the number of sessions is limited to ten dates per user.
ENGLISCH (Level B2/C1): One-To-One-Tutoring
|Strategies for Writing Scientific Papers|
Dr. rer. nat. Joy Reid
Please, book your individual dates of attendance per e-mail