Good Scientific Practice – Protecting Scientific Integrity
Dr. Michael Gommel/Dr. Julia Verse, consultant of the "Team Scientific Integrity" in Berlin, will provide the workshop Good Scientific Practice (16 participants, 16 hours, two dates) to doctoral researchers. The workshop will proceed in English language.
The major objective of the workshop “Good Scientific Practice” is to know and understand the basic rules and values of the responsible conduct of research in all its stages, according to local, national and international regulations and guidelines. The participants will explore the differences and grey areas between good scientific practice, questionable research practice and scientific misconduct. They will learn how misconduct can be recognized and prevented, and how it should be addressed and dealt with in case it occurs, and what damage it can cause if handled improperly. The participants will learn to develop appropriate solutions for difficult situations in the process of science and receive advice on how to protect their scientific work. They are encouraged to speak with colleagues and the appropriate institutions about mistakes and problems. The content of the workshop follows the curriculum “Good scientific practice” which was commissioned by and developed in cooperation with the German Research Obudsman.
- Definitions of good scientific practice and scientific misconduct
- Degrees and extent of scientific misconduct
- Examples for responsible and irresponsible conduct of research
- Data and source management
- Authorship and the process of publication
- Mentoring and supervision
- Conflict management: how to deal with scientific misconduct
- Reactions to scientific misconduct
- Local, national and international guidelines and regulations
The workshop encourages the active involvement of the participants and features the following didactic elements: case discussions, problem based learning in small groups, plenary discussion, information input.
Course Description, lecturers, dates and venue:
- Workshop description and schedule 2018
- More information and contact to ombudsperson Good Scientific practice of Leibniz University Hannover
ENGLISH : Workshop
|Good scientific practice||Dr. M. Gommel or|
Dr. J. Verse